Welcome to the world of sourdough magic! If you're an avid sourdough baker, you're likely no stranger to the concept of sourdough discard.
Rather than letting that precious discard go to waste, we have a delightful solution for you - The Easiest Sourdough Discard Bread Recipe.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can transform that discarded sourdough starter into a heavenly loaf of bread. Whether you're a seasoned baker or a sourdough newbie, this recipe is a must-try. It’s easy, quick and you will absolutely love the flavour.
So, roll up your sleeves, and let's get baking!
The Easiest Sourdough Discard Bread ☁️🤍
3 ½ cups ap flour (+ more for flouring the surface)
2 tsp sea salt
1 ½ cups water
1 ¾ tsp instant yeast
½ cup sourdough discard (unfed sourdough starter)
- In a ceramic or glass bowl, mix your flour, warm water, instant yeast, salt and sourdough discard.
- Use the Breadsmart Danish Dough Whisk or wooden spoon to gently bring all the ingredients together into a shaggy dough. It doesn’t need to be super smooth, just ensure that all of the ingredients are mixed.
- Cover the bowl and set it somewhere warm for 1-2 hours (we used the oven with just the light on – it’s a great trick that works like magic!). Your dough should double in size.
- If you want to bake your bread in the Dutch oven, you will have to preheat it for 45 min in the oven (at 430F. Which means removing your dough for that if you are keeping it in the oven as we did).
- Once your dough doubled in size, you can take it out of the bowl and put it on the floured parchment paper. Using Breadsmart Smart Scraper works great to easily remove your sticky dough from the bowl.
- Shape your dough into a ball shape with the Smart Scraper or with your hands.
- Score your dough with Breadsmart Lame. This is the step to get creative with your patterns!
- Carefully take your Dutch oven out of the oven and remove the lid. Use the parchment paper as a handle to gently place your bread inside the Dutch oven and add 2 ice cubes on the side around the bread (this will create steam that will help the bread to rise properly and get extra delicious) then put the lid back on.
- Bake in the oven, with the lid on for 30 minutes at 430F.
- Then remove the lid of the Dutch oven and bake for a further 15 minutes at 390F. Remove the bread from the oven and allow to cool before you slice it!
And there you have it – your very own homemade sourdough discard bread, born from the remnants of your sourdough starter. As you slice into that rustic, golden loaf, you'll be met with the satisfaction of turning something humble into something extraordinary.
Happy baking! 🍞🤍
Recipe inspired by The Pantry Mama: https://www.pantrymama.com/the-easiest-sourdough-discard-bread-youll-ever-make/